Thursday, March 5, 2009

This is Softball, Bitch

My friends play softball every year through a Boulder recreational league. I've never played before because last year was the first year they did a co-ed team, and I lived in Steamboat then. This year I decided to play, even though, as I told Sugar Cube - our coach - I suck at the outfield and all I can really do is hit and run.

I was all nervous last night because I haven't played in EIGHT YEARS (which, when I figured that out, was one of those "OMG I am so freaking old" moments) and actually had to go buy a glove because I had no idea where the one from my teenage years had gone. Now, I never played in high school or anything. I did little league (or the equivalent) when I was a leeeeetle kid and then played on a few rec leagues in college. That's it.

I pop-flied out my first two times at bat and then finally hit a triple, which was pretty nice if I do say so myself. Sugar Cube, taking into consideration my warning regarding how badly I suck in the outfield, put me out in right field. No one ever hits the ball to right field, you know? Except last night. I totally managed to be that chick that gets the ball hit straight towards her, and is completely oblivious, staring up at the lights, thinking about something else entirely. Clueless.

I warned them. And I am super sore today. I really am getting too old to drink beer and play sports at the same time.

2 comments:

  1. "I really am getting too old to drink beer and play sports at the same time."

    So not freaking possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um dito on all of that. I played on a coed team a few years ago. Right field and sucked. But it was fun. Our team name: Boozers.

    ReplyDelete

Shine on, you crazy diamond.